Wednesday, July 23, 2008

5 strange and inappropriate songs my kids love

Like so many, I love my iPod and I love that I can play it in my vehicle. One side effect though, is that my children are introduced to songs to which they wouldn’t otherwise be exposed. But thanks to my beloved iPod they continually request songs like:

London Bridge. I mean the one by Fergie. You know, with questionable lyrics like “How come every time you come around my London London Bridge wanna go down.” Not what you want to hear out of the mouth of your three-year-old daughter. Or six-year-old son, for that matter.

Hey Big Spender. Okay, at the risk of being mocked relentlessly and revealing myself as the total nerd that I am, I’m going to go way out on a limb here and admit something totally embarrassing. I like to download karaoke versions of songs and then sing them as I drive. I know! Never bring this up to me in conversation. I will deny it and pretend I made it up purely for your amusement. Anyway. This song is one of my favourites and the kids have the singing cred to prove it. Imagine one little miss Sarah suddenly belting out, “Hey big spender! Spe-eend … a little time with me” in the middle of Zellers. Freaking hilarious.

I’m Just a Kid. Simple Plan’s homage to teen angst seems to be harmless enough, if maybe a little depressing. Although, one could question my parenting skills when Max’s favourite song laments, “I’m just a kid and life is a nightmare.” The biggest problem with this song, however, is that I accidentally downloaded the explicit version. Instead of the radio version that asks “What the hell is wrong with me?” the version I have spits out, “What the f&$* is wrong with me?” Whoops! I have to have my fingers poised on the volume button each time that part comes up. Why not just download the radio edit, you ask? That would be way too easy!

Kung Fu Fighting. My sister introduced my kids to the original Carl Douglas version of this song. Shortly after Kung Fu Panda was released there was no going back. My kids just love to shout out “Hu!” and “Ha!” while making karate chop motions along to this song. But it is a lot more politically incorrect than I remember it. Aside from including the tacky oriental riff through the whole song, the line “They were funky China Men from funky China Town” sorta makes my PI radar go up.

If it Wasnae for your Wellies
. Here’s one the non-Scottish contingent may not be familiar with. It’s a little ditty from Scottish comedian Billy Connolly that I downloaded for my father about “the importance of Wellington boots in Scottish culture.” Normally Billy has quite the “blue” sense of humour (Check him out if you don’t believe me). Luckily, in this version, the worst thing he says is “Jesus Christ.” But because of his Scottish accent my children sing along with lyrics like “… you’d be in the hospital or in family” instead of “infirmary.” I couldn’t figure out what Max was talking about when he asked me what “gai-ya-bun-dun” meant until I heard Billy suggest you sing the song by “leaping into it in a mood of gay abandon.”

4 reasons for living:

Unknown said...

I love your concept. It is unique. I am visiting you from the Mom bloggers club.

Ann Harrison said...

Hi!
Found you through Mom Bloggers Club.
I have some songs that my girls like and I just grimace. Should I let them listen?
The latest is "Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathenson.
Will see if I need to pay for therapy later in life!

Anonymous said...

Hey, thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I posted a comment for you under my comments. That concept seems a little strange to me but they say it proper blogging manners. Haaa..We will all learn this blogging concept together.

When I saw your Kung Fu Fighting I laughed. I have always loved that song. I sing it all the time around the house. My children think they have a mom that doesn't have all of her marbles up top. You are so right about songs for children. They don't have as many "popular" songs on the radio anymore that don't touch on sex, drugs, affairs, divorce, etc. They need more of Kung Fu Fighting songs. If you really listen to the song...it makes no sense. Those are the best. When a child ask what they are talking about, they believe any response we give them.

Unknown said...

This blog is amazing!!!! i love all kind of songs because I think the music is like energize that is transforming our lives. I usually like to go to the places whose people are happy and enjoy their music, I thin you must to visit
costa rica investment opportunities
Is a fantastic experience.