Monday, September 8, 2008

5 men I find strangely attractive

1. Ashley from Sin Cities. Do you watch this show? Ashley Hames is the lanky, nerdy, bespectacled Brit host who takes you to cities around the world in search of the most bizarre sexual fetishes. Does this seem like the recipe for a sex symbol to you? Me neither. Especially when you see him in such humiliating and painful looking situations as having his testicles nailed to a board or having huge, industrial-looking, metal hooks strung through the skin of his back or being lead around naked on a leash, to name but a meager few on a very long list. But he’s funny and amazingly game for anything. I don’t know. It works.

2. Dan Connor. Goofy, overweight, blue collar jokester is not my usual dream guy. But John Goodman makes Roseanne’s long suffering husband charming and loveable. On the opposite end of the bad boy’s mysterious allure, Dan is the quintessential good guy in his salt-of-the-earth, middle American, tough on the outside, soft on the inside way. Perhaps my favourite episode is when he finds out Jackie – the sister-in-law he only just barely tolerates hanging around his house annoying him everyday – is getting beat up by her boyfriend. He takes one look at Jackie huddled in tears and wordlessly grabs his jacket and slips out the back door. Dan Connor, avenger of abused women, to the rescue!

3. Tony Soprano. But speaking of bad boys, I find it completely inexplicable why a murdering, cheating, overweight, balding, selfish head of a crime family would be in any way attractive to me whatsoever, but for some reason, he kinda is. During the writers’ strike my husband and I survived the lack of original TV by purchasing all six seasons of the Sopranos on DVD. It was addictive. We watched two or three episodes a night and by the end of it, we were fighting the urge to talk to each other with an Italian-New Jersey accent complete with expletives and Paulie-type hand gestures. And I was sort of crushing on Tony. I think the combination of his unyielding power at work combined with the vulnerability he would show in his sessions with Dr. Melfi somehow melded this crime lord into something appealing.

4. George Stroumboulopoulos. I personally don’t think George should be on this list. I don’t find anything “strange” about being attracted to the cute, funny, witty, sexy host of a smart Canadian prime time talk show with great guests. But my husband insists it’s strange so I’ve added him. Plus it gives me an excuse to blog about him. I love how George starts off The Hour with, “I’m your boyfriend, George Stroumbouloupoulos.” How does he know?! I thought it was all in my head but there he is, announcing it. Love ya, George!

5. Anderson Cooper. The distinguished grey hair. The piercing blue eyes. Intelligent, well-spoken, knowledgeable, quirky, self-deprecating, well-dressed….Okay, I realize he’s totally gay, which is what puts him on this list. That doesn’t stop Erica Hill from shamelessly flirting with him on America’s number one cable news network. It’s not just me, right? She totally wants him. I’m with you Erica… even if Anderson ain’t with us.



So, who’s on your list of unlikely secret boyfriends?

4 reasons for living:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely on Ashley & Strombo! I think I'd do really naughty things to the latter in particular... he seems like a total freak.

Um, other than that, I think I may tend towards more "normal" heart-throb types. While I wouldn't do Jack Cafferty, he's the kind of guy I'd like to have over for dinner -- and I think Wolf Blitzer flirts with him sometimes!!

Oh, here, I got it. Did you watch Alias (or Heroes) at all? I'd definitely get down & dirty with Greg Grunberg - http://www.tv.com/greg-grunberg/person/1691/biography.html - something about his smile & voice, I think!

Anonymous said...

Anderson Cooper. Smart is sexy to me. I love a man that will let his hair fade away naturally. Yep...I like him.

Unknown said...

I think Anderson Cooper is very attractive. Extremely attractive. Yummy! But why isn't he married? That makes me suspicious.

Mommy Project said...

My men are posted down the side of my blog so I can see their pretty faces every day. I have John Cusack, Denis Leary (I find talent to be extremely attractive. That, and any man in a fire-fighters uniform. Rahr), and Vince Vaughan.

I ~used~ to have Corey Hart and Harrison Ford to round out my five (for years and years and years), but Corey disappeared in the Bahamas with his wife and 16 kids never to be heard from again and Harrison pierced his ear and started hanging out with Aly McBeal (shudder) so I had to drop them both.

I am considering Hugh Jackman and Gordon Ramsey as possible replacements, but it is so hard to make a commitment with those precious, two, final spots.

{Do you think I may be taking this a bit too seriously? LOL}