Monday, December 8, 2008

5 of my favourite Christmas songs

1. Blue Christmas, Elvis Presley
When my sister was little she entered a Christmas colouring contest at Shoppers Drug Mart and won an Elvis Christmas LP. In retrospect this seems an odd prize for a children’s contest but I think we were both just thrilled that she won. From that Christmas on, whenever we put up the Christmas tree, we had to play that album while we decorated. I particularly remember Blue Christmas. It just doesn’t seem like Christmas without Elvis warbling, “You’ll be doing alright, with your Christmas of white, but I’ll have a blue, blue, blue, blue Christmas.”

2. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Barenaked Ladies with Sarah Maclaughlin
Steven Page’s current felony drug possession charges notwithstanding, this song is a relatively new favourite. The Ladies give this tune a little folksy, toe tapping lift, while Sarah’s haunting melody give it an almost wistful feel. I totally dig it!

3. The Prayer, Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli
This is not, strictly speaking, a Christmas song but they seem to play it every year around this time. I’m not a huge Bocelli fan, but I just love the pairing of him with Celine in this piece. It is so breathtakingly beautiful that, even though I have no idea what the Italian words mean, it moves me to tears every time I hear it. I know, I’m just a big sap.

4. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Judy Garland
And speaking of me being a sap, this is my very favourite Christmas song. Not just any old version though; it has to be the original Judy Garland version which is much more maudlin than the later, more recognizable one that has been covered by so many artists. The major difference is apparent towards the end of the song when Judy laments, “Some day soon we all will be together / If the fates allow / Until then we’ll have to muddle through somehow.” I guess since my family is overseas, being the sappy masochist that I am, I like to listen to this version at Christmas and miss them. According to Wikipedia, in 1957 Frank Sinatra asked the writer to “jolly up that line for me” and so it became the innocuous, “Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.” Maybe it’s slightly more jolly, but bo-ring! Is it un-Christmassy to have a drink and miss people during the holidays? You should hear what the writer originally wanted the song to sound like: “Have yourself a merry little Christmas / It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past.” Now that’s depressing!

5. Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire
I’ve always kinda liked this song but last year it took on an extra special meaning. Hubby was slated to go in for an … *ahem* … operation. You know, snip snip. The big V? Okay. So I’m driving him down there and guess what song comes on the radio? Yup. As if his chestnuts weren’t already feeling the heat, he had to have Michael BublĂ© singing about them roasting on an open fire. But it doesn’t end there. For about two weeks afterwards, every time we got in a vehicle together and switched on the radio it would be yet another version of Chestnuts, and never the same one. Nat King Cole, The Carpenters, Johnny Mathis, Bing Crosby, Linda Ronstadt. Who knew so many people had covered it??? But it was uncanny how that song followed him last year... and kinda funny. I’m evil! I know!

So what are your favourites? White Christmas? Rudolph? Something a little less mainstream? Tell me!

6 reasons for living:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, love the chestnuts thing! I hope your hubby has a great sense of humour about it too.

I am an Elvis "Blue Christmas" kinda girl too. I also love Jewel's version of "Ave Maria" although I'm not sure it counts as only a Christmas tune. I can listen to pretty much anyone's version of "O Holy Night" .... and then I've had enough Christmas carols to last me a year!!

Aviva said...

I like "Step Into Christmas" the best. I know that it's not your traditional Christmas carol, but I love the tune, and I find myself humming it now as I write this post.

Thanks, as always, for a terrific read!

Unknown said...

That Chestnuts story is hilarious. I think my favorite Christmas song has to be that one - the original version by Nat King Cole.

E said...

Ah, yes, the Barenaked Ladies, their version of Jingle Bells is a current fav in our house. The kids love to ring their bells while running circles through the living room to the kitchen. Especially the 'batman smells' portion!

I agree with verygoodyear, I am a sucker for any version of "O Holy Night".

I also like a little ditty called the 'Christmas Rap' by some little indie band/singer that I can't even remember. Quite catchy yet heartbreaking at the same time.

I could go on and on, until the day after Christmas of course, LOL!

As usual, thanks Paula!

Mommy Project said...

Great list! I will definitely have to do my own. Also, the thing about your hubby...so funny. Reminds me of ~another~ story I have to blog about w.r.t. my hubby's appointment for the same deal! And, now I have to hear that Judy Garland version!

I always love your lists!
:)

Anonymous said...

LOL!! You hubby has a great sense of humour!!

I like the classics: Come all ye Faithful, & Little Drummer Boy, just not all the time. I like the Christmas songs that are done by Boney M (sp) and the Trans – Siberian orchestra. Oh, and I have to have the Chipmunks Christmas song (I forget the name of it) in there too.