Monday, December 15, 2008

5 things that seem to gather and breed in my house

There’s the usual dust, toys, clothes and dishes. But what about these things that seem to proliferate around my home…

1. Blankets. I think this is from my daughter who is always tucking in her dollies, putting them to sleep. Or maybe I need to keep my house at a warmer temperature. But every morning my family room is littered with various blankets. So I gather them up, fold them in a pile and leave them sitting at the bottom of the stairs. This, as all females know, is the internationally accepted sign for “Please bring me upstairs.” But somehow men and children don’t seem to be versed in this international language. They will sidestep, overstep, take two steps at a time to avoid the thing and leave it at the bottom of the stairs.
2. Recycling. Are you the only one in your house who moves the recycling from the kitchen to the garage? Me too. When the recycling box under the sink gets full, that’s when the recycling starts to grow, like buildings in a downtown core, around my kitchen sink.
3. Lists. Well, you know how I am about lists. As I tidy my house I find my lists, my husband’s lists, and now even my kids’ Santa wish lists. Little scraps of paper littered around my house reminding me of stuff to do, stuff to buy, stuff to remember from weeks ago. I’ve seen a website dedicated to people’s discarded lists. I should send mine in. I could keep them going for years.
4. Hats. Ball caps, winter toques, cowboy hats, even princess tiaras, which I don’t think you can really categorize as a hat, but anyway, you get the idea. All these items appear one here, one there around my house until they’re everywhere. As I try and scurry around putting ball caps in closets, tiaras in the toy box, winter hats with the coats, I slip into an activity which my sister has affectionately termed “Moving Things Around.” This is when you spend an hour or more of your time moving things from one area of your house to another until you have lost sight of why this certain item has to move up your stairs until it rests in a different spot from the spot it was in before.
5. Artwork. This one is the worst. Which sounds terrible to say. What kind of a mother says her children’s artwork is the worst? Okay, here’s the thing: my children are 7 and 4 years of age. It is a special time. A magical time. A very … prolific time. And far be it for me to squelch this emerging artistry. I mean really, I love to see their fledgling stick figures, their first misspelled words, their attempts at illustrated stories. But it’s just hard to deal with all the … works of art that come at me from everywhere. They’re produced at the kitchen table, the toy room in the basement, their bedrooms; at school, daycare, camps; at Grandma & Grandpa’s house, parties and play dates. And it’s not that I don’t want them to create. I keep a cupboard full of markers, crayons, glue sticks, scissors, paper, cardboard, everything for crafting expressly because I’d much rather they create than stare passively at the TV. But what to do with everything afterwards??? Some people frame certain special pieces and decorate the toy room or child’s bedroom with their art. I should totally do that. But pretty soon it would be like wallpaper if I kept that up for any length of time. So what do I do? I let everything pile up for a few weeks – in case, heaven forbid, I throw out something only to be asked about that one certain picture the next day – and then I go on a throwing out rampage. I save a few choice pieces from each artist, in case I ever get to that framing thing, and then valiantly try to swallow up my guilt as I see their drawings, their crafts, their signs saying “I love you Mom, you’re the best” get filed in the big round file in the garage. Oh, the guilt! THE GUILT!

6 reasons for living:

Anonymous said...

HI!Paula!

Long time no see!

I got Your card and checked your blog rightaway!

I send my card,too. maybe it'll arrive late...

By the way, your blog is interesting.
I have blog,too. all Japanese.

I leave comment again!

Anonymous said...

sorry!! ↑

I'm Koto!

Unknown said...

I know all about the artwork. I have piles of it and my son is only 1!

Shan said...

My girls are both art crazy. I find endless drawings all over the house in addition to the work my oldest brings home from school and the youngest brings home from the sitters. I have a bulletin board in my office at home that I tack some of them too.

It's easier than framing. Right now it's a shared bulletin board with the business calender and the family calender. My plan is to get a kid dedicated bulletin board for such things. Then I can easily change up the display.

The girls each have a memory box and a file folder in the filing cabinet that a keep a few pieces in each depending on where they fit better. The rest gets recycled although I do snap pictures of some of it before it goes.

And yes we are over run with blankets here as well. And hats. I spend far too much time putting hats away and folding blankets.

Mommy Project said...

:)
No one speaks the international language of "please take me upstairs" around here, either. I've taken to putting things just outside the girls' bedroom door so they will *trip* over it if they don't notice it...but...alas...they just take a nice big step over it all and there it remains.

My hubby's stuff I will place on his side of the bed and he has, literally, shoved it onto my side when he goes to sleep rather than put it away.

And I *totally* hear you on the artwork thing, too. I have a (HUGE) memory bin to keep specially cute things, and more goes on the fridge and gets rotated, and still more goes on my bulletin board, and like Shan I have also photographed them with their art...but it just keeps coming at you!! "Here Mommy. I made this just for you". So adorable! And, yet, it is the 100th drawing that has been made "just for you" *that day*. Ah, yes...the guilt...the guilt...when I happily get to throw piles of it out while they are at Grandma's.

Anonymous said...

I always knew it was the international sign for take me upstairs but my hubby just doesn't get that one.

I think we have the same recycling bin. There are times that my pile gets so high it almost takes over the space under the sink. I think it is an alien life form pretending to be recycling. But that's just my theory.

My son hasn't discovered art yet. But when he does I am in for it.